Computer science is a vast area, offering opportunities across a span of industries, depending on your specific skillset. This online program will prepare you to teach a comprehensive computer science curriculum, including computational thinking, computing practice and programming, software design, data structure and algorithms. Teach up through grade 12 with the Specific Supplementary Authorization, and make your mark in STEM education and help pave a path of success for our students.
K-12 educators, pre-service teachers or school or district administrators in public, private or charter school environments who are interested in furthering their knowledge in computer science education.
The Computer Science Authorization may be of interest to any teacher, pre-service teacher or school or district administrator interested in furthering their knowledge in computer science education. Specific supplementary authorizations may only be added to Single Subject Credentials and authorize the holder to teach Computer Science in grades preschool, K-12, and classes primarily for adults.
What You'll Learn
- How computing systems and digital devices function, and how they have contributed to various disciplines.
- Best practices in problem solving techniques and fundamental computing concepts including decomposition, data representation and algorithms.
- High-level programming languages and advanced software design.
What You Can Do With This Certificate
Teaching positions are available in both private and public schools.
“I really enjoyed my experience with UCR Extension, and will continue to use their course offerings to enhance myself professionally and insure my future marketability. It was such an uncomplicated, meaningful experience from beginning to end. Thanks to UCR Extension for giving me a great return on my investment!”
Pomona Unified School District
Earning the Certificate
Prior to enrolling, please ensure that you meet the following minimum requirements:
- Bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited institution
- One of the following valid, unexpired, California teaching credentials:
- Single Subject
- Standard Secondary
- Please note that there is no application required to begin taking courses toward the Specific Computer Science Authorization, however, we recommend that you apply by the third course if you would like UCR to assist with the filing of CTC paperwork at the completion of the required courses. You can apply, free of charge, below.
- Successful completion of 19 units with a grade of C or better.
- Upon program completion:
- The candidate may request the assistance of UCR Extension to file the appropriate paperwork with the CTC or the candidate may apply on their own to the CTC.
- If the candidate would like UCR to assist, please notify the Credentials Office via email. Please include your full name, program and mailing address in the email. At this time, the CTC does not accept online applications. Please note, a university $50 "credential filing fee" will apply as well as a $100 check or money order made out to the CTC.
- Upon verification that all requirements have been met, the Credentials Office will mail the required paperwork to your home address in 10 business days. Please complete the application and mail back to the Credentials Office with ONLY the CTC payment.
- The candidate will need to pay the UCR Extension$50 "Credential Filing Fee-Education" to Student Services by calling (951) 827-4105. Please pay this fee on the same day the application is mailed to the Credentials Office. DO NOT MAIL PAYMENT.
- Upon receipt, the Credentials Office will process the paperwork within 24 hours. A letter is then mailed to the candidate as verification of completion.
- CTC can take up to six months (50 business days) to process paper applications. Please review CTC's website to verify issuance. The candidate will not receive a document in the mail as the CTC has gone completely paperless.
The final decision regarding an applicant's academic eligibility for a supplementary or subject matter authorization will be determined by CTC staff when the documentation is submitted and the application is evaluated.
For more information see How to Earn a Certificate
Our certificate programs are designed to be flexible, allowing you the option to take just a few courses or to earn the complete certificate. If choosing to complete the certificate, we recommend you get the most out of your experience by following the suggested completion path below.
Introduction to Computational Thinking and Programming
Programming and Design I
Programming and Design II
Data Structures and Algorithms
Impacts of Computing and Communication Devices
“In today's world, classrooms are all about technology. What I enjoy most about teaching for UCR Extension is the collaborative atmosphere with my students--who are also teachers. I always look forward to meeting and learning from them, and it's fun to share our thoughts on the best ways to successfully integrate technology in our classrooms. It's energizing for all of us.”
Reading and Literacy Teacher & Site Technology Coordinator
Moreno Valley Unified School District
Moreno Valley, CA
Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback about the UCR Extension website. Please be sure to include all relevant information to ensure that we can follow up with your request as soon as possible.