Individuals who are:
- Looking to strengthen their language of habitual use.
- Ready to speed up their bilingual development.
- Looking for a position as a professional interpreter or translator.
Courses are not separated by language. Principles and examples are applied concurrently in each course to translate to and from English and Spanish. All translation competencies and methodologies are appropriately integrated in each course, and then students advance when ready to translate more difficult texts.
What You'll Learn
- Basic, intermediate and advanced tools to translate accurately
- Reading comprehension and analyses in both English and Spanish
- Bilingual writing mechanics
- Translation concepts
- Translation methods and procedures to solve difficult translation problems
What You Can Do With This Certificate
Positions are available in a variety of industries all over the world, and can be found in firms, government, or nonprofit organizations. They might include:
- Professional Translator
“I have been translating for about eight years, and this program gave me the help I needed to overcome a block I struggled with when working on translation projects. It exposed me to valuable tools and available resources. My instructors were highly experienced and an inspiration.”
Content Management Specialist
Reliance Steel and Aluminum Co.
Earning the Certificate
Prior to enrolling, please ensure that you meet the following minimum requirements:
- Must successfully pass the qualifying admissions written exam to determine mastery in both languages.
- Students must successfully pass the qualifying admissions written exam to determine mastery in both languages
- Bring a bilingual dictionary
- Bring pencils or pens
- Summer Quarter: Enroll in the Information Session and complete the Admissions Exam
- Fall Quarter: Start the program
For more information see How to Earn a Certificate
Our certificate programs are designed to be flexible, allowing you the option to take just a few courses or to earn the complete certificate. If choosing to complete the certificate, we recommend you get the most out of your experience by following the suggested completion path below.
Specialized Certificate in English/Spanish Document Translation: Information Session
Qualifying Admission Exam for the Interpretation and Document Translation Programs
Fundamental Principles and Methodologies of Translation
Comparative Analysis of the Structures of English and Spanish Languages
Intermediate Principles and Methodologies of Translation
Advanced Principles and Methodologies of Translation
“I have worked in the healthcare industry in California and Mexico for more than 30 years. In addition to being an M.D., I am also a Nationally Certified Healthcare Interpreter. I enjoy working with a diverse group of students to help bridge the language and culture gap. I will guide you and help you develop the translation and interpretation skills to be successful in the healthcare industry.”
Dr. Jesus Oliva-Barron
Director of Healthcare Consulting & CEO
MAGNUS & SIERRA Language Health Training Center
Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback about the UCR Extension website. Please be sure to include all relevant information to ensure that we can follow up with your request as soon as possible.