- High school college and career counselors who want to develop their professional competencies.
- High school guidance counselors who want to acquire specialized knowledge to transition into the role of college counselor.
- College admissions personnel who want to become more familiar with high school processes and institutional protocols.
- Junior high and middle school counselors who want to provide their students with a head start in planning their post-secondary options.
- Teachers who want to be better informed about post-secondary options.
- Individuals who want to develop an independent college counseling practice.
- Parents who want to assist their middle or high school student with the admissions process.
What You'll Learn
- How colleges choose students
- Application calendar for private and public colleges
- Financial planning and admission procedures for small private colleges
- Helping athletes and students with special talents
- Working with underrepresented students
- Critical dates on the testing calendar
- Preparing students for college entrance exams
What You Can Do With This Certificate
Positions are available in both private and public schools.
“I was able to open my own practice as an Independent Educational Consultant, and am grateful to UCR Extension for helping me achieve my entrepreneurial dreams! The knowledge I gained from the program gave me an added advantage when helping high school students.”
My College-Bound Counseling
Earning the Certificate
Prior to enrolling, please ensure that you meet the following minimum requirements:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent
For more information see How to Earn a Certificate
Our certificate programs are designed to be flexible, allowing you the option to take just a few courses or to earn the complete certificate. If choosing to complete the certificate, we recommend you get the most out of your experience by following the suggested completion path below.
The College Counseling Process
College Admissions Procedures
Analysis and Application of Effective Career Counseling Strategies
Financial Aid Planning for Higher Education
Professional and Ethical Issues in the College Application Process
Practicum in Counseling College-Bound Students
“I enjoy sharing my years of knowledge and experience with students from various backgrounds—first generation, international, various income and academic levels--with my UCR Extension students in order to provide them with the necessary skills to successfully guide others in the college admission process. I also keep my students current with the latest trends in college admissions.”
Director of College Counseling
Army and Navy Academy
Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback about the UCR Extension website. Please be sure to include all relevant information to ensure that we can follow up with your request as soon as possible.