2017 Program Dates: January 28 - April 22
Click here to view the detailed course calendar.
- Want to sharpen current graphic and web design skills.
- Have been novice artists who want to establish a career.
- Hold a Preliminary or Clear, valid California Single Subject, Standard Secondary, or Specific Secondary Credential who are familiar with digital design software and are interested in teaching graphic arts.
What You'll Learn
- Design fundamentals and visual communication skills
- Digital media applications, digital photography and illustration
- Latest techniques and standards of web design
- Layout, production, branding and corporate identity
- Professional portfolio
- Use current Creative Cloud software by Adobe, including InDesign, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and Illustrator
What You Can Do With This Certificate
Positions are available in self-employment, private firms, corporations, government, or nonprofit organizations. They might include:
- Graphic Designer
- Web Designer
- Digital Artist
- Publications Coordinator
“This program was amazing. The instructors were so knowledgeable. I gained the skills to go out and immediately start working as a graphic designer--something I had been wanting to do for a long time.”
Local's Choice Printing
Rancho Mirage, CA
Earning the Certificate
Prior to enrolling, please ensure that you meet the following minimum requirements:
- Familiarity with digital design software or Adobe Creative Suite applications.
- Teachers earn 15 units of credit.
- Courses are CTC-approved to meet the requirements for: Specific Subject Supplementary Authorization in Graphic Arts
For more information see How to Earn a Certificate
Our certificate programs are designed to be flexible, allowing you the option to take just a few courses or to earn the complete certificate. If choosing to complete the certificate, we recommend you get the most out of your experience by following the suggested completion path below.
Digital Art & Design
Digital Design Process
Web Design for Graphic Designers
Digital Design Portfolio Review and Presentation
“Almost 30 years ago, I realized the need to merge traditional and digital design with the advent of computer technologies. As the need for contemporary online teaching environments emerged, I worked with UCR Extension to develop a unique program combining online and classroom instruction, and facilitating a high degree of interactivity, personalization, and efficiency.”
John Douglas Lane
Digital Arts Institute
Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback about the UCR Extension website. Please be sure to include all relevant information to ensure that we can follow up with your request as soon as possible.