Use your specialized knowledge in a vocation, technical or military field to help today's career technical or ROTC students gain an edge when you earn your Designated Subjects (DS) Credential in either Career Technical Education (CTE) or Special Subjects.
Individuals who have an employment offer to teach Career Technical Education (CTE) or Special Subjects or individuals who have obtained a Preliminary DS CTE or Special Subjects Credential who need to enroll in and complete a Commission on Teaching Credentialing (CTC) approved program of study to clear their Preliminary Credential. The following industry sectors are available for DS CTE credentials:
- Agriculture and Natural Resources
- Arts, Media, and Entertainment
- Building and Construction Trades
- Business and Finance
- Education, Child Development, and Family Services
- Energy, Environment and Utilities
- Engineering and Architecture
- Fashion and Interior Design
- Health Science and Medical Technology
- Hospitality, Tourism, and Recreation
- Information and Communication Technology
- Manufacturing and Product Development
- Marketing, Sales, and Service
- Public Services
The following DS: Special Subject credentials are available:
- Aviation Flight Instruction
- Aviation Ground Instruction
- Basic Military Drill
- Reserve Officers Training Corps (ROTC)
What You'll Learn
- Curriculum development and instructional planning skills related to developing occupational oriented knowledge and skills in developing lesson plans.
- Strategies for planning instruction which are relevant to the diverse needs of students and various occupations.
- Classroom management strategies to develop and maintain a safe and effective learning environment.
- Concepts surrounding the CTE and Special Subject professions with highlights touching on the legal and ethical issues in the field.
What You Can Do With This Certificate
Teaching positions are available in both private and public schools.
Earning the Certificate
Prior to enrolling, please ensure that you meet the following minimum requirements:
- High school diploma or GED
- Current teaching position or offer of employment
- Complete a total of 20 quarter units, with a grade of B or better.
- Apply for the credential by providing:
- State Credential Application Form 41-4
- State Credential Application Fee of $70 (money order made payable to CCTC)
- Work experience verification on letterhead (required for CTE only)
- Completed Livescan Form with CTC as the agency
For more information see How to Earn a Certificate
Our certificate programs are designed to be flexible, allowing you the option to take just a few courses or to earn the complete certificate. If choosing to complete the certificate, we recommend you get the most out of your experience by following the suggested completion path below.
Orientation to the Designated Subjects Credential Program
DS Early Orientation to Teaching
DS Assessing Student Learning
DS Teaching English Learners and Students with Special Needs
DS Classroom/Laboratory Management and Safety
DS Foundations and Professional Legal/Ethical Responsibility
DS Curriculum and Instruction
Implementation of Health Instruction Framework for California Schools
CPR and Basic First Aid
U.S. Constitution Examination
DS Culminating Portfolio
“Focusing on the CTE vision, I have been a leader in building a strong CTE educational system across California that is based upon rigorous and relevant stands. I served on the CTE Education Advisory Panel for the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing, and m passion brought me to UCR Extension to teach the courses that will produce top-quality teachers.”
Dr. Irene Fujii
Specialist in Educational Leadership & Consultant
Past President, California Association for Regional Occupational Programs
Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback about the UCR Extension website. Please be sure to include all relevant information to ensure that we can follow up with your request as soon as possible.