Demand for transitional kindergarten teachers is on the rise as more districts opt to incorporate TK into their schools. Whether an experienced teacher looking for a change, or a new educator fresh out of school, this program is designed to impart the knowledge and expertise needed to foster an effective learning environment where children can learn fundamental academics, while simultaneously developing maturity and confidence. Make your mark and pave the way to a successful outcome for young learners.
Credentialed teachers and/or individuals who possess a bachelor’s degree and have passed the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST), who are looking to teach Transitional Kindergarten in California.
What You'll Learn
- Influences on children's biological, physical, social-emotional and cognitive development
- Quality teaching practices that address cultural and developmental differences
- Methods for engaging parents and building a collaborative relationship between home and school
- Language development in children ages 0-5 and strategies for working with English learners
- Differentiated instruction techniques for TK-K combination classrooms
- Evidence-based curriculum and bridging the Preschool Learning Foundations with the Common Core State Standards
What You Can Do With This Certificate
Teaching positions are available in both private and public schools.
Earning the Certificate
Prior to enrolling, please ensure that you meet the following minimum requirements:
- Bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited institution
- Passing score on CBEST
Transfer all 36 units to earn a Master's degree.
- School: California Baptist University
- Location: Riverside, CA
- Program: Master's of Science in Education, Transitional Kindergarten Concentration
- Transferable Units: 36 units are transferable from the Teaching Transitional Kindergarten Certificate
For more information see How to Earn a Certificate
Our certificate programs are designed to be flexible, allowing you the option to take just a few courses or to earn the complete certificate. If choosing to complete the certificate, we recommend you get the most out of your experience by following the suggested completion path below.
Transitional Kindergarten: Child Growth and Development
Diversity and Responsive Teaching in a Transitional Kindergarten Classroom
Home, School and Community Collaborations for Transitional Kindergarten Teachers
Language, Literacy and Support for Preschool English Learners
The Transitional Kindergarten Curriculum
Intentional Teacher Engagement in a Transitional Kindergarten Classroom
Observation and Assessment in a Transitional Kindergarten Classroom
Practicum and Coaching for Transitional Kindergarten Teachers
“Whatever your goal, completing a professional certificate program will give you confidence to reach for the top. Join thousands of UCR Extension students whose lives have been transformed by our programs.”
Dr. Sharon Duffy
UCR Extension Professional Studies
Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback about the UCR Extension website. Please be sure to include all relevant information to ensure that we can follow up with your request as soon as possible.